Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A little dose of what it takes to follow your dreams...


So before my grand adventure (of giving going to Utah State a second go) many things had to fall into place, and let me tell you they didn't until the last minute....(still not done yet!)

Many hurdles came rushing my way as vacations ended and summer started coming to a close. The biggest would of had to of been getting the 2 hours of nurses aides that I am supposed to be able to get just like that. Well boy, it didn't happen just like that...We called the agency I had when I was up in Logan before, thinking I could just get right back on board with them. Umm no, things are never quite that easy in the world of medicaid/insurance/government, unfortunately. The reason this home health care agency could no longer help me they said, was because they no longer accept medicaid only patients; due to the fact that medicaid owed them lots of $$$$. A brief FYI for those of you that don't know...Medicaid (sparing you all of the nitty gritty details) is basically medical insurance given to those with certain disabilities which was established July 30, 1965, through Title XIX of the Social Security Act (little free history lesson for ya) , of course many stipulations apply as do all government run programs. I wondered if it had to do with "Obama-care" they said no, but I have my doubts......but anyway, at first I was at a loss....."now what?!" My awesome mother quickly reminded me they are not the only home healthcare agency in Logan, despite how much I was impressed with them. So quickly the many MANY phone calls to other agencies began....

My mom put in phone calls to two other agencies. The first one we actually knew the director through a mutual friend. We thought oh great, maybe she can pull some strings for me.......umm no that was so far from any possibility. Quick lesson learned here: It doesn't always pay to know someone. ;) What also bugged me about this agency, is the insisted that I would have to use a hoyer lift, to insure that their CNA's don't injure their backs. HELLO, if you cant lift 50 lbs (about my weight) then why the heck are you a CNA? So that agency didn't make the cut!

Finally we got an agency that agreed to take me on, despite that I'm on medicaid and can't use a hoyer lift. I was so happy. I have yet to meet with them, but they have put in a Dr.'s orders, so things must be legit.

Other minor hurdles have been getting the door opener installed on my dorm room door (that is still being worked on), getting parking passes for my CNA'S, figuring out how to utilize my mandatory meal plan independently, oh and getting my messed up room assignment figured out.

The messed up room assignment was potentially a huge disaster waiting to happen. But I was on top of things and quickly set things straight...The room the maintenance personnel said was mine, was a private room but that was the only perk I could give it. It seriously was the size of my bathroom at home, and I could barely turn around. I mean heck! I would rather deal with a roommate in my bedroom then live in that prison cell style room (ok thats a bit of an exaggeration) When I first saw it, in my head I had a little panic freak out session, while all the while just smiling while the maintenance guys asked what needed moved out. The rest of the apartment dorm, spectacular! When we got home from Logan and after looking at my room assignment records we realized something screwy was up. The room on the paper was not the room they showed me, and not only that the price was out of this world too high. But it all ended good! Turns out I get a room intended for 2 all to myself at the single price! I'm ecstatic about the room ;)

Anyway thats pretty much it, dad is taking a load of the big stuff such as my bed, desk, and nightstand, up on Friday. Classes start on the 30th (not the 23rd, like I originally thought; huge dumb blonde moment) and I will move in the Friday before school starts. Everything worth while is a work in progress. Stay tuned for more, and PICTURES!

No comments:

Post a Comment